Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Peace In The Valley



Well, as some of you know I had 3 guineas (a roo, One Toe, and two hens, Two Toes and Geraldine). The chickens and guinea's were all raised together and roosted together in the evenings. The guinea's followed me around where ever I went and never roamed out of the back yard.

It is spring and breeding season. The guinea's were 4 times the size of my bantams and began to pick on the bantams unmercifully. Poor Ozzie got bloodied up one day and I put my foot down and had to put my big girl panties on and make a decision that I didn't want to make. I had to send the guinea's to freezer camp. I called the neighbor who gave them to me and he came to get them. I can't process them or eat them (especially when they were my pets) so they went to my neighbors freezer camp.

Now there is peace in the valley once again and my chickens can come out and play safely. I took them some tomato treats this morning and everyone enjoyed their special time. The lightest one in the front of the photo is Gordon, the little peep that Harriet hatched (September 18) and raised. So lucky that she turned out to be a little hen. Harriet still knows that Gordon is her peep and takes care of her, never letting anyone bother her special Gordon. Everything is good in the chicken world here. Ozzie takes care of his hens, Harriet keeps June in line and Gordon, well, lets just say she runs off the yard birds...

4 comments:

roc said...

omg..they are TOO cute!

WW said...

Oh..I'm so glad that, although it was hard, everything has worked out. They are adorable and it's so good to see a new pic of little Gordon!!

Renee (nayski) said...

i feel like the old dotty aunt saying this but... I can't believe Gordon has gotten so big already. Gosh they grow up fast don't they. I'm glad everything is right in their world and they are safe once again. Sorry you had to make the decision.

VBR said...

BFC - a week or so ago, I saw the Guinea Hens by the stables walking down the sidewalk next to the main road. They were headed for the shopping center. There was the big dumb cluck and all the little cluckettes following him. Maybe the owner here needs to mention that Freezer Camp to them the next time they get the wanderlust!