Sunday, July 19, 2009

Doe In The Woods



Wildlife abounds around here. We live in a rural area and have woods surrounding two sides of our property. Saw this little doe grazing around the outside of our horse pasture and got the camera to video her. Wish I could have been closer. I couldn't believe it when she squatted to pee! She pee'd! I guess I didn't really think about it much. I see deer poop all around, but to actually see her pee was quite amazing for me. I guess I am easily entertained.

There is another doe around with two fawns that is around here. Now if I could just catch her on video...

2 comments:

roc said...

how cute is that deer! i love deer. we have 2 little fawns that lost their mom that live in our woods. i love it when i get to see them!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

I miss deer! My dad worked for the US Fish and Wildlife Service as a biologist, refuge manger, and then (office jobs) Regional Manager and so on. We eased out of my earlier life on Wildlife Refuges over the years as he took on administrative roles. Deer, like rabbits, won't reclaim their young if they smell human on them, so once after a stupid person picked some fawns up by the side of the road in one of the refuges thinking their mother abandoned them (she had just gone off to feed), we had to raise the fawns and then let them go. We weren't allowed to name them or pet them, just feed them from a big bottle as they were pinned in our backyard on the refuge. My dad didn't want us to attach to the deer or the deer to attach to us. We did our job and set them free. I will never forget that experience as long as I live. I will try very hard to find some pictures and scan them. They're not great pictures but . . .

anyway, thanks for the picture and story. It brought good memories to mind and made me miss the more rural life a little more tonight.

How are my movie star celebrity chickens?